General Information | Click Floating Floor | Glue-Down Tiles | Glue-Down Sheets
Installation & Maintenence | Samples, Shipping & Warranties
Linoleum is another environmentally friendly floor option available at Longleaf Lumber.
We carry linoleum manufactured by Forbo, with the trade name Marmoleum.
Marmoleum is biodegradable, durable, allergen-free, bacteria resistant and easy to clean.
All its ingredients are minimally processed and commonly available. In addition, Forbo also
recycles all of its remnants back into the production process.
Linoleum's ingredients include the following:
|- Linseed Oil: pressed from seeds from the flax plant
- Wood Flour: obtained through lumber industry waste (sawdust)
- Pine rosins: tapped from trees in a manner that does not harm their growth.
- Limestone: very finely ground. Found worldwide in enormous quantities.
- Pigments: ecologically responsible and organic.
- Jute: spun from the fibers of jute plants in India and Bangladesh for backing.
COLORS: There are many different color ways. Most are color combinations (2 to 8 mixed) for marbled or splattered effects. There are also some solid colors. As Marmoleum is made from natural raw materials, customers should be aware that slight color differences are possible between the production batches, samples and the goods to be delivered.
| Examples of some of the the neutral colors ...
| Examples of some of the the bolder colors ...
BORDERS: Glue-down borders are available in 13 standard patterns and over 100 colors.
AMBERING: A temporary yellowing or "ambering" occurs during the manufacturing process when the linseed oil oxidizes, but when the floor is exposed to light the ambering disappears.
SURFACE FINISH: Marmoleum's surface finish Topshield consists of a strong, durable, cross-linked primer that ensures smoothness and durability and also a top layer that guarantees resistance to scuffing and dirt. It is UV-cured (baked) to provide a non-porous surface. After installation, there is no need to apply another coat of poly.
HEAT WELDING: For high-traffic/water commercial applications, welding rod strips are available to heat-weld seams. Residential areas, where some additional protection is wanted between sheets or tiles, only require a coat or two of floor finish to help seal the cracks.
FORBO - THE COMPANY: One of the largest floor covering manufacturers in the world, their linoleum production facilities have been in continuous operation since the mid to late 1800's. Forbo is "committed to protecting the environment and investing in a sustainable future by constantly seeking to create more environmentally friendly products and processes." The company is based in Europe with U.S. headquarters in Hazelton, PA.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE WEB: www.themarmoleumstore.com
LINOLEUM'S CHARACTERISTICS ~
|- DURABLE: Marmoleum continues to harden and become more durable over time.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Dust wiping is the most effective and efficient method of removing loose dirt. Spot treatment with a neutral cleaner and damp cloth or mop is sufficient for stains. For best results use Marmoleum Cleaner and Finish products.
- CONTRIBUTES TO HEALTHY INDOOR AIR: Anti-static properties make cleaning easier because dust and dirt do not easily adhere to the floor, a benefit for people with allergies & asthma. Bactericidal properties prevent micro-organisms from multiplying.
- NATURAL AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: Made with natural materials, Marmoleum has no adverse health issues, either during production, its useful life or disposal. No harmful VOC's are emitted. Adhesives are also solvent free & meet all low VOC requirements.
- COLOR FAST.
- SUITABLE FOR WARM WATER UNDERFLOOR HEATING.
FLOATING FLOOR (CLICK):
2 SIZES: 1' x 1' Squares (Actual size is 11-13/16" x 11-13/16"). 6.89 sf / carton.
1' x 3' Panels Actual size is 11-13/16" x 35-13/16"). 20.56 sf / carton.
Thickness = Approx 3/8" (9.8 mm)
3 LAYERS: Marmoleum with Topshield finish at the surface. High Density Fiberboard, precut with interlocking tongues and grooves in the middle. Cork as base layer.
NOTES: Can be installed over an existing floor. More forgiving of sub floor irregularity.
Easy to install. Simply "click" panels into place. No glue is required.
Added element of sound reduction with the 3-layer construction.
TILES - GLUE DOWN:
2 SIZES: 13" x 13" Squares. (Actual size is 13" x 13"). 53.8 sf / carton.
20" x 20" Squares (Actual size is 19-11/16" x 19-11/16"). 53.8 sf / carton.
Thickness = Approx 1/10". (2.5 mm)
Backing = Polyester (fiberglass) for dimensional stability.
SHEET GOODS - GLUE DOWN:
1 SIZE: Sheets are 6' 7" wide. Cut to lengths per lineal yard.
Thickness = Approx 1/10". (2.5 mm)
Backing = Jute.
Installation instructions are available for all the different kinds of flooring. They will also come with each order. Only a few points are listed below. Installers should be thoroughly familiar with the process before beginning any installation.
IMPORTANT!!!!!!! Forbo (like most other companies) warranties their product only and will not pay for the labor or shipping costs to replace a floor. All flooring should be inspected for defects BEFORE it is installed. Should a problem be detected, the floor should NOT be installed. Installation information and a copy of the warranty are available.
With all products and methods, successful installation requires proper moisture levels and conditions as well as a quality sub floor. It is essential that sub floors be rigid, finished smooth, flat, level, permanently dry, clean and free of all foreign materials.
FLOATING FLOOR - CLICK -- A few things:
1. Boxes should be stored flat & UN-opened for approx 2-3 days (approx 6 days in winter) in the center of the room where they will be installed.
2. Room temperature should be at least 68 degrees and air humidity approx 50-60%.
3. A vapor barrier must be used over concrete or warm water under floor heated sub floors.
4. The floor can be walked on immediately after installation.
5. Can be installed at any grade, BUT not on a level with a floor drain or sump pump.
6. In damp or wet areas (like bathrooms) water needs to be prevented from getting under the flooring, so all perimeter/expansion spaces must be sealed.
TILES AND SHEET GOODS: Can be installed at any grade. Installation instructions are very detailed. Copies are available.
MAINTENANCE AND REFINISHING:
1. Sweep/dust or (even better) vacuum the floor. Micro-fiber dusters are fine.
2. Damp mop with Marmoleum Floor Cleaner. Rinse floor with clean mop and let dry.
Sweep, dust or damp mop and/or vacuum as needed. Avoid excessive use of water, a damp mop or cloth is all that is necessary. Don't use ammonia or other cleaners with high pH.
Spots and spills:
The vast majority of spills, including pet accidents, can be cleaned easily. Spot clean any stains: wipe up quickly. A non-abrasive scrubbing sponge is ideal. Persistent stains can also be treated and details are available.
The surface layer of Marmoleum is non-porous, so floor finish is not needed to prevent spills or dirt from entering the floor. However, the surface may be rough and can catch dirt. Depending on the level of activity in the space, floor finish may be desired to increase the smoothness of the floor to make it easier to clean. The frequency of finish re-application depends on each situation and can range from as often as a few times a year to once every few years.
Marmoleum Floor Cleaner and Finish:
Both products are made from environmentally friendly ingredients.
As with other floors, furniture and chair legs should have protectors and entrance mats will help keep dirt at entrances. Use the common methods of keeping dirt off the floor.
REPAIRS: Various techniques are used for different levels of repair, and details are available.
SAMPLES: Are available, free of charge. Just ask us.
ESTIMATES: We are happy to put together an estimate for you that includes materials, shipping and lead-time.
WARRANTY: Forbo has a 25-year limited warranty. A warranty registration card and a copy of the residential warranty are both available.